About us: We are a painting and restoration company delivering service-focused painting and restoration services to multi-residential and commercial properties in the greater Vancouver area. We have strong core values, a company culture based on the golden rule, and we are growing our company.
What we are looking for: We’re seeking a Financial Controller to add to our leadership team and manage all of the day to day finance operations of the company. The person we are looking for will share our core values, care about our team members and help drive us into the next stage of growth.
What You Will Do: Reporting directly to the CEO, this person will work closely with sales and operations to assess, monitor and drive revenues, cash flow management, budget and forecasting process as well as the company’s long-term strategy. You will have the opportunity to set up and grow our financial systems and practices while taking care of our day to day accounting needs.
You will be accountable for preparing periodic financial reports, developing a system for tracking and updating accounting records, and creating a comprehensive set of controls and budgets to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of our company's reported financial results. Your responsibilities will include:
- Ensure accurate and timely recording, payment and receipt of all transactions including accounts payable and accounts receivable:
- Implement best accounting practices for internal audits, controls and checks;
- Manage the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, fixed asset records, general and entity accounting, and cost accounting;
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed;
- Maintain the chart of accounts and implement new chart of accounts to facilitate better information reporting and decision making
- Create and maintain a system of controls for accounting transactions;
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis;
- Responsible for full-cycle accounting operations, including GST / PST and information for year-end tax filings.
- Ensure financial plans are consistent with organizational goals;
- Provide financial analysis tools to evaluate company ventures or special projects, programs, capital expenditures, products costing, etc. when necessary;
- Manage commercial banking relationships and interface with outside audit firm/s, insurance agents, and credit card companies, etc.
- Build and manage the annual budget and forecasts;
- Issue timely and complete financial statements on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis;
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management;
- Assemble information for the preparation of the corporate annual report;
- Recommend benchmarks to measure performance of company operations;
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics;
- Create and maintain a system of management cost reports;
- Provide financial analyses as needed, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
Leadership and Management
- Manage all aspects of the accounting department, functions and operations;
- Provide leadership and management for our accounting team personnel
- Create and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures;
- Manage outsourced financial functions;
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit;
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Awareness of tax or regulatory changes and their potential effect on the company
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience;
- 10+ years of progressively responsible financial and accounting experience;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Understanding of software revenue recognition accounting practices;
- Experience leading and managing a team of people
- Experience in implementing improvements in financial systems and controls
- Experience with consolidations and consolidating financial statements;
- Basic understanding of Canadian corporate taxes and related filing requirements;
- Demonstrated ability as a self-starter who is capable of building relationships across departments and;
- Demonstrated ability to work diligently with minimum supervision;
- Preference will be given to candidates with a CA or CPA designations.